5.20.2010

Yeehaw y'all

This post is definitely not from New York City. In fact, it would be tough to find somewhere that was more polar opposite to New York City than Montana. For the past five days, I've been hanging out in Montana with my bumble bee (the other B) where she goes to school in Billings, Montana. So far, we've taken advantage of the sun and the friendly people, and I've gotten a true taste of what Montana living is really like!

In the short time that I've been here, I've participated (sort of) in a traditional cow branding, learned how to ride a horse, driven in the vast Montana country, kayaked for the first time, gotten a taste of the ranch and farm life, explored downtown Billings, visited the Moss Mansion, met some really cool people, and most importantly spent some much needed time with B. Plus, I've still got 5 days left!
Hiding out inside the baby cow's house

John Deere, enough said.

Riding a horse for the first time


B making it look easy

Attempting to 'post'

Jeff showing off his roping skills

My first day in Montana, B picked me up from the airport and we drove straight to the French Ranch about four hours north of Billings. There, I got to meet the French family (who are absolutely wonderful!) and attend a traditional cow branding in Malta, Montana.

These poor little guys had no idea what was in store for them!

It was such a unique opportunity for me to get to watch a traditional branding in action. Family members, friends, and fellow ranchers in the community came together to help the French family brand, vaccinate, and castrate about 450 of their cattle. In traditional style, cowboys (the man on the horse below) lasso or 'rope' the calves by their feet and drag them to the wrestlers (the two girls--who are both in high school!) who 'wrestle' down the cattle and hold them down to be vaccinated, branded, and castrated.

Wrestling down the cattle

Two of the boys holding down the calf

B and Craig

The finished product with the French brand

If it seems like a long process, that's because it is! These hard working guys and girls of all ages worked from 6am to around 5 to get just 450 of the cows done. Much of the castration and branding processes are highly mechanized in America, so I was lucky to get to see this very traditional method. Where did I fit in to all of this? I was too umm... scared? to brand or castrate the cows, so I was on daycare duty and I manned the food table!

Later on in the week we took a quick trip to a friend's farm to ride some horses and see some newborn calves. It was a pretty windy day but we got to do a little horseback riding and see what farm life was like closer to the city of Billings, in Laurel, Montana.

Lily the baby cow

Eric and Lily

I will NEVER complain about taking pills, again. This is the actual pill that farmers have to shove down a cow's throat if they need medication!

B and I tried really hard to get some good shots of the two of us... but it didn't really work out on such a windy day. Ha




I've had a blast spending time with Brittany, I only wish I had more time to play around! Experiencing a new culture and learning about Montana has been fun, too. I have really enjoyed seeing a lifestyle that is completely different from Alaska and the east. My first trip to the 'west' beyond the coast has been awesome. Here's to another week of cow-tipping, 'shootin', horseback riding, cute cowboys, and exploring. Yeehaw!

Thinking of you all.

1 comment: